We have a change of programme for Monday 2nd February.
Unfortunately Barrie Neilson of Sailing Holidays has had to pull out from his talk on Monday
(he will come along to speak to us at a later date.)
WEATHER FOR SAILORS
19:30 for 20:00
We are very lucky that Bill Taylor has been able to step in at very short notice to talk to us on a whole range of weather related matters, all relevant to sailors.
His talk will cover:
- Reading weather charts, some new symbols.
- A brief explanation of jet streams
- Basic ideas on using computers to forecast the weather including the uncertainties and how to cope.
- A discussion of Met Office forecasts and their uncertainties.
- How a yacht skipper adds value to them
- Forecasts from other centres. Which websites work best for sailors.
Bill is an ex Met Office forecaster, retired 7 years, and still interested in the weather though not a nerd! (his words not mine!)
He is a member of the Civil Service Sailing Association and sails in cruising and racing yachts, RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Coastal Certificate.
Bill is the Training Principal of the Island Sailing Club Reading and a keen Laser sailor, though Bill tells me he hasn’t won any races yet!!
It promises to be a fascinating evening on a subject that is close to all sailors’ hearts.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Do please bring along any friends and colleagues - visitors' rate £5.